BELRIM’s Scientific Committee kicked off its partnership with the pioneers of the academic world on Tuesday, 6 May at the Vlerick School for Business in Brussels.
Professors Regine Slagmulders (Vlerick), Peter De Potter (Karel De Grote Hogeschool) and Leonardo Iania (UCL) honoured us with their presence.
BELRIM’s President, Gaëtan Lefèvre (CMI), gave a brief overview of the association’s organization, objectives and activities. Florence Bindelle, Executive Director of FERMA, explained the European role they play in the field of RM education and certification. Gil Delcour (AG Insurance), 2013 laureate of the BELRIM Prize, told the audience what winning the prize has meant for him and how strongly he believes in this project which aims at uniting the academic theoretical framework with the practical hands-on experience of the industry.
Finally, Catherine Van Cauwelaert (Euroclear), spokeswoman of the Scientific Committee, recalled the role of the committee which is to
1) promote Risk Management with young professionals and students,
2) suggest and participate in Risk Management study topics,
3) make Risk Managers aware of existing courses and develop Risk Management courses, events and publications.
The partnership between BELRIM and the academic world is to be a win-win-win situation, in which the professors, the students and BELRIM find real added value.
For the academic world this means:
1) promotion of professors’ and students’ work
2) develop network with global RM industry
3) long term – development of courses.
For the students it offers:
1) a link between studies and professional world
2) acquire extra Risk Management knowledge and know-how.
1) Promote BELRIM as a professional institution
2) Stay up-to-date with educational developments in Risk Management.
Hereafter, she highlighted the criteria of the BELRIM Prize and opened the debate on different aspects that are to be taken into account.
During the walking dinner that followed, discussions continued and many ideas were exchanged. This kick-off was the first step towards what promises to be a fruitful collaboration with a new type of partnership within BELRIM. The BELRIM activities are now open for all academic partners who work in the field of Risk Management, without any commercial objective.
For more information on the BELRIM Prize or the Scientific Committee, contact any of its members.
For pictures of this Kick-Off, click here.