Some historical facts
The concept of Risk Management came from the USA in the early 70’s.
The term was used to designate all techniques used for the control and management of security in companies, from the supplies to customer satisfaction through all the stages of production en commercialisation.
In parallel, an analysis and policy of financial retention of risks was applied in the structure of the insurance programmes bought by these companies. Risk Management’s main feature was a vision that was primarily based on proactive management of prevention in all the fields and founded on techniques such as forms of retention, control of statistics, optional reinsurance.
This new concept of risk management induced the insurance managers of the big European companies, until then restricted to the underwriting of insurances, to unite their efforts in order to compare their experiences in the field of risk management.
Therefore, in 1974, risk and insurance managers of industrial, commercial and service companies decided to create the Groupement des Assurés de l’Industrie (GAI / VVI) . In 1992, they changed their name to
BELGIAN RISK MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATION (BELRIM)
BELRIM’s objectives are:
On a national level
- allow risk and insurance managers to share their experiences and to discuss opportunities. To facilitate this,
- BELRIM invites specialists in Risk and Insurance Management on a monthly basis to the BELRIM Exchanges for its members.
- BELRIM organises project related work groups on various topics to inform its members about the evolution on the insurance market, risk management, the new legal provisions and to defend their point of view in the concerned fields.
- BELRIM is a technical networking platform for its members where risk managers can get advice from their peers.
- BELRIM takes an active part in seminars and conferences in collaboration with other organisations and associations.
- The BELRIM Scientific Committee encourages the development of Risk Management through its contacts with the academic world.
- act as a spokesperson with regard to the authorities and other professional associations, such as IIABel, NBN, IAB, UPCA, FEB/VOB, ASSURALIA, FSMA.
Since 1992, the Insurance Commission has recognised the role of BELRIM by giving them a seat reserved for the Insureds (from Industry and Commerce)
On an international level
- BELRIM is a member of and actively involved in the European Federation of Risk Management (FERMA), a platform dedicated to the exchange of information among the different national associations of more than 20 European countries. FERMA organises a two-yearly congress, called Risk Management Forum, the meeting place for risk managers, brokers, insurers, experts and consultants.
- BELRIM is a member of the International Federation of Risk and Insurance Managers Associations (IFRIMA) - New York founded in 1984 - in order to promote and defend the practice of risk management worldwide.